Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ahhh, the fun of camping

I don't know if it is the middle of the night, "what was that?" sound, the fire that just won't start or the wind in the trees, but for as long as I can remember my favorite past time is camping.

Whether you are pitching a tent or pulling a house behind you (I'll talk about that later) there is just something about getting outdoors and back to the basics that appeals to many, many people the world over.

Yes, I love all things camping, but I have to admit my absolute favorite thing is cooking over an open fire. How is it that the food just tastes better? I've learned a trick or two about cooking over that devil fire and have a good story or two to share about it along the way. So buckle up and get ready to trip over the light fantastic and a few state lines as we create the beauty of sites and bites!

Most recently I've been spending my camping time at South Toledo Bend State Park in Louisiana. The resivoir that is known for its excellent fishing is located in the central west portion of Louisiana near the Texas border. In fact the lake is split by the two states. It is one of the newer parks in the Louisiana Parks system and boasts beautiful scenery, friendly people and most of all a grill on every porch with a "chicken" in every pot!

When we get ready to go camping we bring tha main necessities: cast iron pots and skillets, hot pads, every spice in the cupboard and a little bit of charcoal just in case.

My significant other and I plan the day around what we are going to cook. He's originally from South Louisiana so food is a VERY important part of his life. Some days we sit and enjoy the meal while talking about what we are going to cook next. It is a match made in heaven let me tell you. (Lucky for us we both have good metabolisms).

I mentioned before that the lake is known for its good fishing. There is even a fishing show on cable every Sunday morning filmed on the lake.

If I could only express to you the beauty of the area, oh, wait, I have pictures and will post soon!
I'm just getting warmed up but let me give you my first can't live without recipe for camping.

When we camp we think of hot dogs and hamburgers and that is a very good place to start especially if you arrive at a campsite in the late afternoon, early evening. However in the fashion in which I cook I like to take it to the next level and it is just as easy to do. Make a foil dinner. It will appeal to the different tastes of the campers and is a hands-free, easy clean-up alternative.

My favorite thing about this meal is that you create individual portions; no fuss no muss!

Use a heavy duty aluminum foil if possible in a 12 inch square (it's like making a plate). Preparation is only this: for a family of four cut up three medium sized potatoes into approximately 2 inch pieces. Chop one bell pepper and one medium sized onion. Evenly distribute the ingredients to the designated foil packets. Add ground beef, hot dogs, sausage or chicken to the foil packets and season with salt, pepper, dried basil and garlic. Most of the meats will create their own seasoning, but for extra flavor add a pat of butter. Wrap the foil upon itself to form a completely closed package. Nestle each package on top of or near the hot coals of the fire. Turn once after 20 minutes and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

The food is flavored with fire and outside goodness when you open that packet to serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment